As part of our Passport to Purity Weekend, I surprised my niece with a trip to Sprinkles Cupcakes! I have only tasted Sprinkles Cupcakes once in my life when my parents surprised me with a half dozen cupcakes on their way back from a vacation (that was 7 years ago). Although visiting each of the 50 states is on our Family Travel Bucket List, I never dreamed I would be able to experience Sprinkles again so soon, until now… because they’ve opened a store in Tampa and Disney Springs (Orlando)! In fact, they even have Cupcake ATM’s at both sites to make your cupcake cravings deliverable 24/7!
“Candace Nelson is the founder and pastry chef of Sprinkles Cupcakes, the world’s first cupcake bakery. Started in Beverly Hills, CA in 2005, Candace’s sophisticated take on the classic American cupcake made Sprinkles an overnight bakery sensation. Candace’s cupcakes, made from the best ingredients and baked fresh throughout the day, inspire long lines of devoted fans as well as accolades from the likes of Oprah Winfrey, Blake Lively, Katie Holmes, Ryan Seacrest and Barbara Streisand. Today, Sprinkles has 22 locations nationwide, a traveling Sprinklesmobile – the world’s first cupcake truck, and sells its mixes at over 250 Williams-Sonoma stores throughout the U.S. and Canada. In 2012, Sprinkles debuted the world’s first Cupcake ATM and continued its foray into classic American desserts with the launch of Sprinkles Ice Cream. Future expansion plans include a franchise agreement that will bring 34 Sprinkles Cupcake bakeries to the Middle East. Candace is a dedicated philanthropist, angel support of Baby2Baby and a board member of LAXart.” You may have also seen her as a judge on Food Network’s Cupcake Wars!
After a day of thrifting, Hailey and I ventured over to the Tampa store which is located in Hyde Park Village. While other cupcakeries offer traditional flavors, I was excited to see some of the innovative flavors that Sprinkles offers its guests each week. Just a few of the 20+ flavors are Banana, Chocolate Coconut, Cuban Coffee, Lemon and Triple Cinnamon. They also have some pretty delicious looking seasonal cupcakes listed – Lemon Meringue (April), Casamigos Margarita (May), Smores (August), Olive Oil (September) and Raspberry Chocolate Chip (February). You can find a full list of both on their Flavor Menu online. Being the coffee fiend that I am the Cuban Coffee cupcake immediately called my name, but this flavor is only offered on Wednesdays and Sundays, so we’ll be going back to try that flavor. Definitely check the flavor menu online prior to your trip if you’re looking for a specific flavor. There are a few that are offered daily.
Choosing just one cupcake flavor to try was hard.. they all looked delicious – I’m thinking of starting a Sprinkles Cupcake Challenge to test each one! I’m sure my niece and the kids would be on board! Hailey decided on the Sprinkles cupcake and I chose the Chocolate Marshmallow cupcake. We cut them in half, so we could each try both flavors.
Sprinkles Cupcakes are priced at $3.50 each and a decent size for the price. Even cutting them in half, Hailey and I still had a good portion each. Since we were at “Sprinkles” we decided to try the Sprinkles flavor first. This cupcake was a delicious birthday cake flavored cupcake topped with vanilla buttercream frosting and TONS of yummy sugar, I mean sprinkles! This ended up being our favorite of the two flavors.
We ended up packing up the Chocolate Marshmallow cupcake to go home, so I forgot to take a photo before we devoured it for breakfast the next morning Since Sprinkles Cupcakes are made with all natural (preservative-free) ingredients, it is recommended that you enjoy them at their freshest, on the day of purchase. However, you can ask for a Sprinkles ziploc bag at the bakery, plastic wrap the bakery box or place the cupcakes in an airtight container and freeze. We chose to plastic wrap the bakery box. You could definitely tell it was not as fresh as our Sprinkles flavored cupcake but it was still edible and tasty on the 2nd day. From what I’m told, this is a best seller for Sprinkles. The Chocolate Marshmallow cupcake is a belgian dark chocolate cake with marshmallow cream and bittersweet chocolate ganache.
A trip to Sprinkles wouldn’t have been complete without trying their Cupcake ATM! We decided to order the Red Velvet cupcake to take home to my husband. The process was super quick and easy. The machine is touch screen, so you can quickly make your selections, swipe your card and then watch the process of your cupcake order on the screen! I was able to see my cupcake being pulled and placed in the window – very cool! The machine, at this time, does not take cash or gift cards – so you will need to bring a debit/credit card to order. I LOVE how innovative the Cupcake ATM is and its accessibility.. this would have been very dangerous if I had known about it while pregnant! All those late night chocolate cravings would have sent me to the ATM for sure!
My niece said this was the best part of our weekend, she really enjoyed the cupcake experience!
12 Sweet Facts I Learned about Sprinkles
- You can get FREE Cupcakes! Sign up for Sprinkles Perks and you’ll receive a free cupcake on your birthday, access to exclusive events, referral points, double points on a purchase of your choice and more! The more you visit Sprinkles, the higher you’ll level up in the Perks program and you could earn a free cupcake on your half birthday and free DOZEN cupcakes on your birthday!
- I recently read that Sprinkles Founder Candace Nelson said that for her pumpkin “is a flavor that never goes out of season.” We could be besties! I totally agree and love a good pumpkin spice latte or pumpkin flavored anything year-round! In fact, you can grab one of their Pumpkin Cupcake Mixes (or several other flavors) online to make at home!
- Want to learn some of Candace’s secret recipes? Order her Sprinkles Baking Book online for $26 and try one of her 50 cupcake recipes at home!
- They have Doggie Cupcakes! How cool is this? Each sugar-free cupcake is topped with a yogurt frosting. I might have to treat the pups on my next visit!
- If you live in Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas or Houston – you are one lucky soul because you can now Amazon Prime your cupcakes! Cupcakes are delivered FREE within 2 hours with Prime Now! Not an Amazon Prime Member? Check out the link at the bottom of the post to take full advantage of this perk!
- They are on the move with SprinklesMobile! It’s a van (food truck style) that caters private events and makes stops in Los Angeles. Although I don’t see anything posted in a while, you can stay up to date with their SprinklesMobile Facebook and/or Twitter accounts for location information.
- They have WAY MORE than just cupcakes in their stores! I’m already making a list of things to try at my next visit and at the top is the Sprinkles Shot which is a kids scoop of ice cream with a shot of espresso! Being a coffee and sweets addict, this just seems like the perfect combo to me.. YUM! But if you’re not as fond as coffee and not in the mood for one of their delicious cupcakes, I’m sure any of their ice cream, cookie and/or brownie treats will satisfy that sweet tooth.
- This extra deserved its own line – Sprinkles offers.. wait for it… Frosting Shots! For those that love frosting this is heaven. I can’t wait to go back and try them! I was so enthralled with everything on my trip that I missed seeing this. They are priced at 75 cents each – totally worth it!
- Are you Gluten Free, Sugar Free or Vegan? No worries! Sprinkles has you covered and offers their customer favorite Red Velvet Cupcake in each option!
- Sprinkles also offers cupcakes for those special moments in your life, such as Weddings and Gender Reveals! When I was pregnant, we didn’t have a gender reveal as we kept the gender a surprise until E was born.. but if I had, this would have been the way to go! They also have a Design Your Own option!
- They care about our environment and support non-profits committed to preservation and conservation. At Sprinkles all the bakery boxes, utensils, shopping bags and gift boxes are made from recycled materials. They also purchase high quality dairy and produce from local farms where available. And since 2008, their Earth Day campaign has raised $94,050 for environmental health programs!
- You DEFINITELY want to follow along their social media channels! If you take a look at their 2016 Year in Review, you’ll see several campaigns that they ran throughout the year.. such as their Sprinkles Champion Ambassador Program (June 2016) where you could receive free boxes of their newest flavors before they’re available OR their September 2016 campaign that offered students a free cupcake if they brought in a paper with a grade of A OR their 4th Anniversary Celebration of Cupcake ATM’s where they hid $400 in gift cards throughout the Sprinkles Cupcake ATM’s! The only way you are going to find out about their awesome promotions is if you follow them on social media. So run NOW and like/follow on Facebook, Twitter and/or Instagram! You can even follow your favorite location, such as the Hyde Park Village store individually on Facebook and Twitter!
I also found Candace Nelson’s Sprinkles Baking Book on Amazon for only $13.68!
“Learn the secret to making 50 beloved Sprinkles Cupcakes from iconic Red Velvet to new flavors created exclusively for the book, like Creme Brulee. Candace also shares recipes for her favorite cakes, pies, quick breads, cookies, bars and other treats, plus delicious guest recipes from Sprinkles friends like Reese Witherspoon, Julia Roberts and Michael Strahan.”
Not an Amazon Prime Member? No problem! Check out my Amazon Prime Informational Post to see all the benefits, why I HIGHLY recommend becoming a member and how to get started!
Plus, you’ll learn my secrets to earning FREE Amazon Gift Cards!
Frugal Southern Living Disclosure: I did not receive any monetary compensation in order to post about Sprinkles or their delicious cupcakes. I did, however, receive two complimentary cupcakes in order to help facilitate my review and share with my readers. Coffee and ATM Cupcake were purchased on my own. Opinions in this review are 100% my own, unbiased thoughts about this company and yours may vary. Receiving a sample did not influence my opinion and I was not required to write a positive review.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you click thru one of my links I’ll receive a small percentage of any purchase you make. You are not affected at all by using these links. Any money I receive helps fund my coffee and sugar addictions. Anything leftover helps support my family and allows me to work from home Thank you in advance for using my links and supporting my family & blog!